Re: Corruption (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: Corruption (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2 May 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> As Don asks, what happened with the v7.0 trials you were doing?  Corrupted
> indices, I've seen occasionally in older versions, but I can't recall ever
> seeing corrupt system tables ...
>
> I don't have a GUI browser right, so searching the archives is kinda tough
> for me :(  Can you refresh my memory for me?  There has to be something
> logical to this, as to what the cause for the corruption is :(
>
> >From Don's comment, I take it you are using FreeBSD?  Version?  Stability
> of the machine?  Never crashes?
>
> Version of PostgreSQL?  Compile/configure options?  Do you have any core
> files in your data/base/* hierarchy that would be the result of a backend
> crashing?
>
> I know you are looking at alternatives, but I'm terrible at letting go of
> problems :(

His description of table corruption and the system running slower and
slower sounds like a disk going bad.   I've seen it hundreds of times
on news machines.  Constant retries while trying to write to the disk
will give slowdowns.  Having data on a spot of the disk that's unreliable
will certainly cause data integrity problems.

Mitch, have you thoroughly checked the hardware?

Vince.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com