Re: combining - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jie Liang
Subject Re: combining
Date
List pgsql-sql

Jie LIANG

St. Bernard Software
Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.stbernard.com
www.ipinc.com

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Frank Morton wrote:

> I'll really appreciate help on this if anyone will do so. I'm
> used to single-table stuff, but not sure the best way to
> do things with multiple tables, but here goes:
>
> Given two tables with a common "id" field, first table columns:
>
> id
> lastname
>
> Second table columns:
>
> id
> type
> content
>
> These two queries get me what I want from each table:
>
> select unique id from table1 where lastname='morton';
> select unique id from table2 where ((type = "pie") and (content =
'apple));

it depends what you want:
1.
select id from table1 where lastname='morton' and id=table2.id
and table2.type = 'pie' and table2.content ='apple';
will return you the id in the intersection of 2 sets.
2.
select id from table1 where lastname='morton' union
select id from table2 where ((type = 'pie') and (content =
'apple'));
will return you a set1+set2;