stats on select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From admin
Subject stats on select
Date
List pgsql-sql
I would like to keep statistics for records which are being selected from
my product table. If my table looks something like:
CREATE TABLE product ( name varchar(32), stats int2 );

... I would like to be able to increase product.stats when executing a
query which could look something like:
SELECT * FROM product WHERE name='3com' LIMIT 100,0;

Considering there is a LIMIT, I can't simply use UPDATE. Perhaps I should
be using rules or triggers, but I am not familiar with either. I have been
reading the Programmer's Guide and I am still having a hard time figuring
out the proper solution.

Suggestions would be very appreciated,
Marc