Re: [HACKERS] SQL statements: begin and end - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SQL statements: begin and end
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> My feeling is that application authors have already decided whether
> they prefer "BEGIN" or "BEGIN TRANSACTION" or "BEGIN WORK", and trying
> to enforce a single standard now is just going to irritate people and
> break existing applications.  I vote for leaving well enough alone.
>
> > Bruce, please don't use "begin" and "end" in your book.
>
> Sure, it makes sense for the book to consistently use "BEGIN WORK"
> and "COMMIT WORK", which are probably the least likely to confuse
> novices.  But I think actually removing the other variants would be
> just an exercise in causing trouble.

I don't know how Oracle or most everyone else is doing it, but Sybase
uses:

begin transaction [transaction name]
and
commit transaction [transaction name]

I don't see an end transaction in the quick ref, but they do have a:

begin  statement block
end

in there.

Vince.