Re: [HACKERS] Backend terminated abnormally - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Backend terminated abnormally
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Actually, the missing clue seems to be that it's cool on HPUX and
> > coredumps on Linux.  Bigendian vs. littleendian bug maybe?  I'm on
> > it...
>
> Well, isn't *this* special: it seems that memmove(dest, NULL, n)
> doesn't cause a coredump on HPUX, it just silently does nothing.
> Sheesh.  I hardly ever use memmove, or I would've found this out
> before (and complained about it!).

HP is notorious for this.  Pass a null pointer to its atoi() and it'll
return zero.  Same thing on IRIX64.  Do this on a *BSD or Linux machine
and it'll segfault.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop