Re: [HACKERS] current_time? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [HACKERS] current_time?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> > Now I thought this was discussed recently and this:
> > create table foo(
> > x       int,
> > y       datetime default current_time);
> > would put the current date and time into y whenever a new record was
> > inserted.  It appears to give the date and time the stupid table was
> > created.  Is it me or is something broke?
>
> The behavior for this was changed very recently.  Since current sources
> refuse the above:
>
> regression=> create table foo(
> regression-> x       int,
> regression-> y       datetime default current_time);
> ERROR:  Attribute 'y' is of type 'datetime' but default expression is of type 'time'
>         You will need to rewrite or cast the expression
>
> I am guessing you are trying it with 6.5.*, where indeed you will likely
> get the time of table creation.  Recommended approach is
>     y  datetime default now()
> which works the way you want in all Postgres versions AFAIK.

This works.  I had tried something earlier (during the thread a couple
weeks back)  DEFAULT TEXT 'now'   which didn't work at all for me.  A
little playing and I just now figured out why it didn't work..  When I
tried that I had y as a text field - which only put a 'now' in it so I
was avoiding using now under the assumption that it wouldn't work.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com