Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On 13-Oct-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Frankly, if I can get away with having whole sections that point to URL
> > files, so much the better.  If I can just point them to the INSTALL
> > file, and be done with it, great.
>
> The installation can be quick and painless.  I'll explain more tomorrow.

Ok it's tomorrow.  This will apply mainly to the actual installation
process, but will also apply to the instructions for the book.

1) Add to configure: --with-postgres-user=  and  --with-postgres-group=  with the default being postgres:postgres.

2) When generating the makefiles, use the -g and -o parameters to install.  These, of course, will come from
configure.

At this point, anyone can build PostgreSQL, but only root and the
postgres user can install it.  Either way, the ownership will be correct
since we added the -g and -o to install during the configuration process.

Currently, the only difference between the way I do it and the above is
that I override INSTALL in Makefile.custom (which I believe Tom Lockhart
tipped me off to).  I build as myself and use sudo to install (as many
other admins also do).

3) gmake

4) gmake install (or sudo gmake install)

Alternately, steps 3 and 4 can be done this way:

3a) gmake > gmake.out 2>&1 &   tail -f gmake.out

4a) gmake install >> gmake.out 2>&1 &   tail -f gmake.out

But I don't usually bother.

The final step may not be necessary if steps 1 and 2 are done right.  I
do it just to make sure the directories have the right permissions:

5) cd /usr/local   (or whatever the directory is just below postgres')  chown -R postgres:postgres pgsql  (substitute
asnecessary).

Then do whatever initdb's and createdb's etc as necessary/desired.

Even doing step 5 (and doing the custom makefile), on a 450 P-III running
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, I have the entire system installed and running in
about 20-30 minutes.

So how's that?  There may be some minor differences between systems,
I seem to recall HP having some with install(1), but I believe there
was a workaround script that fixed it for most things called bsd.install
or something like that.  I'll verify HPs install on systems from 8-10.2
later this mourning - think I have a couple SGIs I can check too.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com