Re: [HACKERS] Someone finally put it into print... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Someone finally put it into print...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > GPL evil, BSD so-so...
> >         http://www.daemonnews.org/199905/gpl.html
>
> Talk about a one-sided, inflammatory presentation ... sheesh.
>
> I happen to like BSD better myself, but calling GPL "Communistic"
> is a few steps beyond reasonable discourse.
>
> The real meat of the issue is this: if you give your free software away
> under a BSD-style license, someone else can use it as a component of a
> non-free, non-open-source product.  If you give your software away under
> a GPL-style license, it can only be used as a component of more free,
> open-source software.  Either of these might be a reasonable goal
> depending on your purposes.  I read Michael Maxwell's attack as saying
> "it's not good enough for you to give code away for free, I demand that
> you allow me to make money off your work".

My personal opinion on the two licensing schemes is that they both take
the 'far extreme' approach...neither of them is perfect and if one could
someone come up with a "middle ground" license, that would be great.  Each
of them has their good points, but I still think the BSD one is the
"lesser of two evils"...

BSD gives too much freedom...GPL doesn't give enough...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org