Re: seperate swap drive, was Re: [ADMIN] Speed problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: seperate swap drive, was Re: [ADMIN] Speed problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, G. Anthony Reina wrote:

> Marc,
>

>     I'm running PostgreSQL v. 6.3.2. No I don't want to disable
> fsync just in case someone stops a process midstream (which has
> happened before-- I figure it could screw up the db). So maybe it is
> those "memory leaks" that you've suggested. I'll try closing and
> re-connecting to see if there are any differences. However, I would be
> interested in downloading v. 6.4. Do you know where to get it? (I
> think it is a beta version but I couldn't find it on the www site).

    First off, fsync() only helps if the system itself
crashes...someone else might want to correct me, but if a process stops
midstream, it should not affect the db in any way, shape or form...

    Second, v6.4 was released yesterday...should be available on all
the FTP mirrors by now, as well as the main site :)

> p.s. Does 6.4 have page-level locking?

    No, Vadim was waiting for v6.4 to be released before diving into
it for v6.5 ...