Re: PostgreSQL ODBC driver: recordset not updatable - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Samplonius
Subject Re: PostgreSQL ODBC driver: recordset not updatable
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Neil Davis wrote:

> Evelio,
> ODBC drivers on Micro$oft windows, typically do not support update, delete
> or insert (db modification) through them when used against non-microsoft
> databases. Part of the price you pay for ODBC. You will have to write server
> side functions and execute them through the odbc connections like:
 I don't know where you've been, but every ODBC driver I've used does
that.
 Now, some go further and offer updatable resultsets too.  The mysql ODBC
driver does not support updatable resultsets, because the MySQL server
does not support cursors.  But again, ODBC supports this if the driver
vendor chooses to code the proper support.  The full ODBC API is
published.  BTW, The PostgreSQL ODBC driver supports updatable resultsets
too.

> > I have installed the postgresql  ODBC driver (6.5) under W98 and I am
> > trying to access the PostgreSQL 7.0.2 database on Linux
> > but I cannot edit or modify the data from MS Access 2000.
> >
> > The Readonly check box is not marked, so ?
 There are two ReadOnly check boxes.  Make sure both are off.  By default
both are enabled (that is a very silly default, btw).
 Also, you will need to have proper permissions to the database.  See
GRANT and REVOKE sections in manual.

Tom