Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Samplonius
Subject Re: Re: [NOVICE] Re: re : PHP and persistent connections
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Alain Toussaint wrote:

> > "I have all sorts of client apps, connecting in different ways, to
> > my server. Some of the clients are leaving their connections open,
> > but unused. How can I prevent running out of backends, and boot
> > the inactive users off?"
>
> how about having a middle man between apache (or aolserver or any other
> clients...) and PosgreSQL ??
 I don't see it solving anything.  You just move the connection
management problem from the database to the middleman (in the industry
such a thing would be called a query multiplexor).  Multiplexors have
often been used in the past to solve this problem, because the database
could not be extended or protected.
 Besides, if you are an n-tier developer, this isn't a problem as your
middle tier not does connection management, but some logic as well.  At
the end of the day, PHP/Apache is just not suitable for complex
applications.

Tom