Re: Scalability, Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Samplonius
Subject Re: Scalability, Clustering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Valter Mazzola wrote:

> If PostgreSQL Inc. will do a replication server, will be possible?
>
> And Mariposa (http://mariposa.CS.Berkeley.EDU/download.html) ?
>
> My question isn't an academic one, i (probably WE) really need this feature.
>
> thank you in advance for you reply.
 Depends on what kind of scalability you need.  Replication does not
usually equal scalability.
 I know that someone was working on a commercial extension to PostgreSQL
to add clustering based on a shared disk system.  Basically he was added a
raw storage manager to PostgreSQL plus a lock manager to co-oridinate
access to the shared disk.  That way the two nodes could co-ordinate
access to the shared disk.  This is very similar to Oracle Parallel
Server.
 Replication is a different beast.

Tom