Re: [HACKERS] crash on new system views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] crash on new system views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Andreas Zeugswetter wrote:

> > > OK, so we shouldn't be able to select a column called oid from
> > > any view?
> >
> > That's an interesting question.  Do we disallow the query?  Comments?
>
> I guess it would be nice if views could show the original oid for all
> non join or single table views.

    IMHO, then the oid should be included as part of the view
definition itself...even on a join operation, having the OID might be
useful...consider a case where you have a join of two tables such that the
select is something like:

select a.oid,a.field,b.field where a.field=b.field;

    Having a.oid means that later I can just do:

select * from <view> where oid = <oid#>;

    But I think the person setting up the view should be the one
explicitly including the oid value, not the system "guessing"...