Re: [GENERAL] Sufficient Primary Key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Delaney
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Sufficient Primary Key?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> You can do multi-column keys in PostgreSQL, I believe, which is
> essentially what you would be doing by combining that data into a single
> column.

I don't like doing that because I don't want to store the entire
name in every other table which needs to be linked with this one.
So, for instance, in the table that keeps track of what authors go
to what book, I want it to just have two fields, the Book's primary
key and the Author's primary key, and I'd prefer those primary keys
to be nice and small instead of, say, the entire title and copyright
year for the book and the entire first and last name and date of
birth for the author. See what I mean?

> BTW, Alan Watts is a favourite of mine.

Mine too.

 --Dan

 Daniel G. Delaney                    The Louisville Times Chorus
 Dionysos@Dionysia.org                   www.LouisvilleTimes.org
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/          Dionysia Design
 ICQ Number: 8171285                     www.Dionysia.com/design/
                   I doubt, therefore I might be.