Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Amos Hayes wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Steve Logue wrote:
>
> > > postgres willing to create a logo a la apache, powered by postgresql?
> > > it'll be up on my site in no time at all.
> >
> > Since I last made a batch of logo's to prompt comments, I've been meaning to
> > make a "serious" attempt again but keep getting side tracked.  View
> > http://www.nettek-llc.com/postgresql/.  Hopefully soon, I will spend a
> > weekend on making something mo'better.  Comments are welcome.
>
> I almost hate to ask, and really, it's not a big deal to me personally,
> but why is it called "PostgreSQL"?

    It used to be called Postgres95, which was Jolly and Andrew's
"joke/play" on Windows95...when it came time to rename it, we wanted to
maintain the 'history' of it being a Postgres4.2 based system, while
bringing forward the fact that it no longer maintained the old non-SQL
based query language...so the name PostgreSQL arose....

    Pronounced: Postgres-Q-L