Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> I say this with these (mostly uninformed) assumptions in mind. Oracle's
> ODBC driver is probably more complete. Oracle is better documented. Oracle
> has a lot of related tools. Oracle offers training.

    What does Oracle's ODBC driver offer that ours currently doesn't?
    Have you looked at recent documentation?  It has changes
        dramatically over the past couple of months...
    What do you mean by "related tools"?
    Training in...administration?  We run it at my "real job", and
        Oracle *has* to offer training for administration...its a
        nightmare.

> >     features
>
> As many posts I see to this list are "how do I do this" - "not
> implemented, wait for a later version", I'm not sure why you would make
> this claim. Again, I'm not a person who spends a great deal of time on
> databases and I do consider myself uninformed.

    features != ANSI SQL compliance, right?  Again, what are we
missing that Oracle currently has...?

> >     support
>
> The mailing lists are nice. I appreciate them very much. There's probably
> a mailing list for Oracle. What more is there for support?

    My experience with paid support vs mailings lists tends to have me
much preferring mailing lists.  At least on a mailing list, you have a
good chance of finding someone that has already hit that same problem...