Re: [ADMIN] Importing data - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Importing data
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:

> > > I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
> > > and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
> > > but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
> > > postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
> > > someone point me in the right direction?
> >

> I simply want to put a bunch of data into PostgreSQL ...
>
> > This can go in any direction.    Need more information.
> >
> > What do you intend to use as your interface?   Or client application

    Odd, haven't got a clue where these questions came from :)

> The data I am import is in a textfile, with comma delimited fields, in
> the form:
>
> "field", "field2", "field3", ...
>
> Each "entry" is on its own line.
>
> Is this enough information...? I'm afraid I don't know the first step
> here, but I imagine there MUST be a way to dump this data into Postgres

    Check out the 'copy' command (there is a man page for it)...it
allows you to import, by default, TAB delimited files, but there is a
'using delimiter' extension for doing others...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org