Re: [GENERAL] How to remove VACUUM lock? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] How to remove VACUUM lock?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 May 1998, Philip Bierhoff wrote:

> Hi guyz,
>
> Because of some strange reason my VACUUM command resulted in a complete
> halt of the database PostgreSQL 6.3 on Linux 2.0.18 (already a simple
> select * resulted in a halt). I had to manually close the postmaster and
> all the locked backends before I could access my database again.
>
> Now the select * query works again, but issuing "vacuum" gives:
>
> Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
>   Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
>
>    type \? for help on slash commands
>    type \q to quit
>    type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>    You are currently connected to the database: komal
>
> komal=> vacuum;
> ERROR:  can't create lock file -- another vacuum cleaner running?
> komal=> vacuum;
> NOTICE:  CreatePortal: portal <vacuum> already exists
> ERROR:  can't create lock file -- another vacuum cleaner running?
> komal=>
>
> What can I do to remove this portal ?

    If you are 100% certain that there is no other vacuum process
running on that Database, go into the data/base/<database> directory and
remove the file 'pg_vlock' that you'll find in there...

    If you aren't 100% certain, shut down the server before  you
remove the lock file...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org