Re: Snapshot 26Feb98 - configure still broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Snapshot 26Feb98 - configure still broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:

> Just tried the 26Feb98 Snapshot under Irix 5.3.
>
> If you request a compiler other than gcc, configure still dies.
>
> After looking at Darren's comment:
> >
> > I complained about this one a few months back.  There is a test condition
> > that needs to be double-quoted.  In my generated configure, it's at line
> > #3230 in the test whether gcc needs -traditional.
> >
> > I seem to recall that it was more a bug in autoconf that in the postgres
> > configure script.
> >
> > darrenk
> >

> I took another look and fixed the problem by hacking configure.
> It clearly is a bug in the routine:
> AC_PROG_GCC_TRADITIONAL
>
> The only work around seems to be to hack configure after running autoconf
> (or to fix autoconf...).
>
> Here's a patch to configure which fixes the problem:

    This patch will only fix the problem until the next time I happen
to run autoconf, at which time it will disappear again.  What I did once
already for another area was to actually modify the autoconf source code
*before* reinstalling it so that autoconf itself has the fix...

    With that in mind, and assuming that you have autoconf laying
around, can you look at what it would take in autoconf 2.12 to get this to
work consistently and supply a patch?  If you don't have it, let me know
and I'll try and dig into it later tonight...right now, I'm stretching in
about a dozen directions :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org