Re: [HACKERS] spin locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] spin locks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >     I'm not quite sure I follow this...in a multi-cpu environment,
> > would process_yield() introduce a problem? *raised eyebrow*
>
> Probably.  I would leave the code as-is for multi-cpu systems.

    So...how would we determine which is which? *raised eyebrow*

> Yep, but we need to check for multiple cpu's first before enabling it.
> That would be a good trick from configure.

    I'm curious, still, as to whether this function would help
performance on a multi-cpu environment as well...what if 2 processes are
running on one of two CPUs, and another 2 on the other? *raised eyebrow*

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org