Re: problem connecting from another host - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Miles
Subject Re: problem connecting from another host
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Frank Miles <fpm@u.washington.edu> writes:
> > The thought suddenly has occurred to me -- the client system that I'm
> > using *isn't* missing postgresql.  It's got an old version on it!
> > *Really* old -- perhaps predating 6.5.x.  Oooppss.  Client libraries, huh?
> > Sounds like it's time to clean that out, replace with new client stuff.
>
> AFAIK the connection protocol should be compatible back to well before
> 6.3 (which is when I got involved with PG; before that, deponent sayeth
> not).
>
> I'd say go for debugging what you have.

Mystery solved.  As originally expected, something *stupid*.  It turns
out that postgres was reading the pg_hba.conf in /opt/pgsql/data/; I
was editing (and expecting postgres to read) the file in /etc/postgresql.
This confusion is probably due to running a formerly pure Debian system,
but switching some time ago to compiling directly from the Postgresql
sources to avoid having to use the unstable branch of Debian.

Thanks for your help.

    -frank