Re: problem connecting from another host - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Miles
Subject Re: problem connecting from another host
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Frank Miles <fpm@u.washington.edu> writes:
> > The only thing I can imagine might be the problem is that client system
> > doesn't have postgres loaded.
>
> You don't need the server loaded, only the client libraries.  If you
> are getting as far as to contact the server, then AFAIK your client
> libraries are present and working.
>
> > I'm mystified.
>
> Ditto.  If this isn't a postmaster bug, at the very least it's an
> inadequate log entry.
>
> It's time to roll out the heavy artillery: I think the next step is to
> trace through the postmaster with a debugger and see where and why it's
> refusing the connection.  Do you want to try that?  If not, I'd be
> willing to help if you'll grant me access to the server system.
>
>             regards, tom lane

The thought suddenly has occurred to me -- the client system that I'm
using *isn't* missing postgresql.  It's got an old version on it!
*Really* old -- perhaps predating 6.5.x.  Oooppss.  Client libraries, huh?
Sounds like it's time to clean that out, replace with new client stuff.
It's weird, though -- a Win9x machine I was initially trying this on
(Python/PyGreSQL again) caused the identical error message to occur.

    -frank