Alter Table Bug - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sezai YILMAZ
Subject Alter Table Bug
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Your name               :       Sezai YILMAZ
Your email address      :    sezaiy@hacettepe.edu.tr

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)         : intel Pentium II 350Mhz

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  : Linux 2.0.36 ELF

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.4.2)  :   PostgreSQL-6.4.2

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)           : gcc 2.7.2.3

I modified a table of a postgres database by using SQL command alter
table. My modification only consists of adding a new column which
type is char(20) to the existing table. After that, I began to update
that column by inserting string values to whole column:

update table1 set new_column='something';

After that I tried to select all records whose new_column field is set to
'somthing' .

select * from table1 where new_column='something';

And the error message produced by the postgres follows:

ERROR:  RestrictionClauseSelectivity: bad value 2.456940

When I backup the database and drop and create the table1 with the
'new_column' there is no problem with selecting the records which match to
the search criteria.

FYI

Sezai YILMAZ
User Support Group,
Computer Center,
Hacettepe University

Voice: +90 312 2976200 - +90 312 2352500/1209
Fax  : +90 312 2992088