Re: Creating data bases - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject Re: Creating data bases
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, George Walsh wrote:

> I am converting 4 sites from C-ISAM (btree) to PostgreSQL which
> necessitates pretty well a full re-development.
>
> I am using Mandrake 9.2 + cooker so my current release level is 7.4-2.
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/data is present and would appear to have the
> directories/files that my 2 texts on the subject mention should be
> present.
>
> I began by wanting to create a simple data base. psql -l reports it but
> the Linux <find> cannot locate it. I can remove it with dropdb, too, so
> the table must be somewhere? Or is this because there is as yet nothing
> in the table?

Why do you want to find it?  Really, one reason to use a database
is for controlled access to the data.  So, anyone who inputs data,
alters data or reads data, does so through the postgresql
postmaster.  Since psql is showing that the database is there,
that should be all you need.  If you want to dump a specific
database to a file, the pg_dump (postgres_dump?) command can do
that.  But I don't really think you want anyone to be able to find
your database except through psql, PGPerl, or whatever.  All of
which go through the postmaster.

Gord