Re: Answering my own question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject Re: Answering my own question
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 15 May 2002 gerry.smit@lombard.ca wrote:

> I found, on http://www.argudo.org/postgresql/soft-tuning-10.html  my
> answer. (Excellent site btw)  What I need to do is prefix my SELECT
> statements for this table with the statement :
>
> SET enable_seqscan='false';
>
> as in :
>
> SET enable_seqscan='false';SELECT * FROM pol_xref_d WHERE policy_no=1200079
> ORDER BY sequence;

Some else mentioned ANALYZE (or is it ANALYSE?).  Anyway,
I seem to remember reading someplace that with newer versions
of PostgreSQL, when you used to VACUUM on a regular basis,
you were supposed to change over to VACUUM ANALYSE (ANALYZE?)
some (all?) of the time.  My memory is fuzzy about this,
so perhaps the docs will have something on this.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)