Compiling 7.0.2 and this mailing list - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject Compiling 7.0.2 and this mailing list
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi!
  A couple of days ago, I got a note from "scrappy"
about this list which I don't understand.  Do I get
unsubscribed if I don't properly reply?

  This next part is a little long winded, and I'll
be unable to act upon any wisdom offered in reply to
this for a week or so.  But, if anyone knows where
in the configuration/Makefiles/... I should make
changes to try and get shared objects to work
with PostgreSQL 7.0.2.  Since perl (5.6.0) seems
to be doing similar things and has no problems,
maybe the answer is comparing how perl compiles
things to how PostgreSQL does.  Anyway, more detail
follows.

  Quite a while ago, I wrote in with a bunch of problems
compiling 7.0.2 on a Sparc running Solaris 2.5.1 using
the GNU C compiler.  What it seemed to boil down to,
was that I could compile shared object libraries, and
the backend would be able to find them and load them,
but when it came time to find the various variables/functions
inside the shared object library, it couldn't.  Or, at
least that's how I read things.

  I've just finished playing around with the Perl Data
Language on this same machine, and had to recompile
perl (the malloc that comes with perl doesn't work with
PDL).  Anyway, the perl shared objects seem to load
and function just fine.  From 'perl -V' I get the following
tidbits:
Compiler:
 cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include/'

Linker and Libraries
 ld='gcc'
 ldflags=' -L/usr/local/lib'
 libpth='/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib'
 libs='-lsocket -lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lsec'

Dynamic Linking
 dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs
 ccdlflags=' -Wl,-E'
 cccdlflags='-fPIC'
 lddlflags=' -W,l-E -G -L/usr/local/lib'

Have a great day!
Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)