Re: tuple maximum size; plpgsql to sendmail? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject Re: tuple maximum size; plpgsql to sendmail?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, ERIC Lawson - x52010 wrote:

> Hi, and TIA,
>
> Can anybody here answer these questions:
>
> 1) I've seen references to the maximum size of a tuple as being
> configurable within the range of 8 to 32K, yet the incorporation of blobs
> seems to contradict any maximum size constraint.  Is there a maximum tuple
> size, and if so, what is it?  (To be sure, the server environment limits
> the size of a tuple, attribute and class, but does postgreSQL imposes
> limits itself?)

As pointed out, the default maximum size of a tuple is slightly
less than 8k (but can be increased at compile time).  Think of
a blob as a pointer to storage, so the pointer takes 4 bytes
(or something small like that).  If you want to search inside
the blob for things, you need to do that with the help of
external programs (as far as I can tell so far).

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca