RE: BUG #15992: Index size larger than the base table size. Sometime3 times large - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Ram Pratap Maurya
Subject RE: BUG #15992: Index size larger than the base table size. Sometime3 times large
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear team,

We are using  B-tree index and can you suggest how to upgrade psql from version 8.4 to 11.

Regards,
Ram Pratap.
Lava International Limited.
Tel+  91-120-4637148

-----Original Message-----
From: Euler Taveira [mailto:euler@timbira.com.br]
Sent: 05 September 2019 18:02
To: Ram Pratap Maurya; PostgreSQL mailing lists
Subject: Re: BUG #15992: Index size larger than the base table size. Sometime 3 times large

Em qui, 5 de set de 2019 às 08:18, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> escreveu:

> In Production system ,Index size larger than the base table size.
> Sometime 3 to 4 times larger.
> Please suggest what can i do to stop index size.
> when i run full vacuum , index size is decrease but again increase
> after a week.

This is not a bug. You don't provide enough information to show us that behavior so I can't comment on it.Depending on
yourindex method (B-tree, hash, GiST, SP-GiST, GIN, and BRIN), index size can be bigger and grows quickly.

> psql version 8.4, server version 11.0.

Why aren't you using psql 11? Also, 11.5 is out. You are missing dozens of important bug fixes.

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/