Re: DBD::Pg 1.00 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Haworth
Subject Re: DBD::Pg 1.00
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 30 May 2001 12:54:17 -0400, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:02:51PM +0100, Peter Haworth wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 May 2001 08:07:11 -0400, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> > The new behaviour is mre correct.
> >

> Why?  The old behavior is better.  Less coding.

It's also less compliant with the DBI spec. I suspect that this only works because the Postgres client library fetches
theentire result set into memory. For other databases where it is not possible to fetch rows from an exhausted result
set,the specified behaviour makes a lot more sense.

Also, this stops DBD::Pg complaining about destroying open statement handles. The DBI says that you don't need to
explicitlyfinish statements after fetching all the rows, so this is good, too.

--
    Peter Haworth    pmh@edison.ioppublishing.com
"Ok, print the message, then put it in your shoe and put your shoe in front