Re: vacuuming not working? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Esposito
Subject Re: vacuuming not working?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok, some further experimentation has proven that this problem does not
manifest itself if there are ZERO connections to the database (aside from
the actual connection doing the insert/delete/vacuum) ... The vacuum command
correctly reclaims the space and the on-disk file never grows beyond a
certain size ...

So, here's the million dollar question ... and one that may or may not be a
postgres question ... I normally have a pool of connections connected to
postgres from my application server (jboss) ... they are all normally in the
"idle in transaction" state (if i do a ps -ax, they are all listed as "idle
in transaction") ... the question is, are these other connections actually
holding open a transaction that would prevent the table from being properly
vacuumed? if so, is there anything that i can do about it ... (yes, i
suppose i need to figure out why the JDBC connections have transactions
started before they're actually needed) ... and was this the case with
postgres 7.1.3?

but i figured i'd run it by the experts too ... ;)

-dave