Re: Possibly slow query - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Peter Darley
Subject Re: Possibly slow query
Date
List pgsql-performance
Richard,
    I tried a left join, which has to be a little weird, because there may or
may not be a corresponding row in Assignment_Settings for each Assignment,
and they may or may not have Setting='Status', so I came up with:

SELECT User_ID
FROM Assignments A NATURAL LEFT JOIN (SELECT * FROM Assignment_Settings
WHERE Setting='Status') ASet
WHERE A.User_ID IS NOT NULL
    AND ASet.Assignment_ID IS NULL
GROUP BY User_ID;

    Which explain analyze is saying takes 0.816 ms as compared to 0.163 ms for
my other query.  So, I'm not sure that I'm writing the best LEFT JOIN that I
can.  Also, I suspect that these ratios wouldn't hold as the data got bigger
and started using indexes, etc.  I'll mock up a couple of tables with a
bunch of data and see how things go.  It would be nice to understand WHY I
get the results I get, which I'm not sure I will.

    I'm not sure what you mean by selecting a distinct User_ID first.  Since
I'm joining the tables on Assignment_ID, I'm not sure how I'd do a distinct
before the join (because I'd lose Assignment_ID).  I was also under the
impression that group by was likely to be faster than a distinct, tho I
can't really recall where I got that idea from.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Peter Darley