RE: Truncate in synchronous logical replication failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From osumi.takamichi@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Truncate in synchronous logical replication failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday, April 12, 2021 3:58 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:03 AM osumi.takamichi@fujitsu.com
> <osumi.takamichi@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > but if we take a measure to fix the doc, we have to be careful for the
> > description, because when we remove the primary keys of 'test' tables on the
> scenario in [1], we don't have this issue.
> > It means TRUNCATE in synchronous logical replication is not always
> blocked.
> >

> The problem happens only when we try to fetch IDENTITY_KEY attributes
> because pgoutput uses RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap() to get that information
> which locks the required indexes. Now, because TRUNCATE has already
> acquired an exclusive lock on the index, it seems to create a sort of deadlock
> where the actual Truncate operation waits for logical replication of operation to
> complete and logical replication waits for actual Truncate operation to finish.
>
> Do we really need to use RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap() to build IDENTITY_KEY
> attributes? During decoding, we don't even lock the main relation, we just scan
> the system table and build that information using a historic snapshot. Can't we
> do something similar here?
I think we can build the IDENTITY_KEY attributes with NoLock
instead of calling RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap().

When we trace back the caller side of logicalrep_write_attrs(),
doing the thing equivalent to RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap()
for INDEX_ATTR_BITMAP_IDENTITY_KEY impacts only pgoutput_truncate.

OTOH, I can't find codes similar to RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap()
in pgoutput_* functions and in the file of relcache.c.
Therefore, I'd like to discuss how to address the hang.

My first idea is to extract some parts of RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap()
only for INDEX_ATTR_BITMAP_IDENTITY_KEY and implement those
either in a logicalrep_write_attrs() or as a new function.
RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap() has 'restart' label for goto statement
in order to ensure to return up-to-date attribute bitmaps, so
I prefer having a new function when we choose this direction.
Having that goto in logicalrep_write_attrs() makes it a little bit messy, I felt.

The other direction might be to extend RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap's function definition
to accept lockmode to give NoLock from logicalrep_write_attrs().
But, this change impacts on other several callers so is not as good as the first direction above, I think.

If someone has any better idea, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Takamichi Osumi