RE: Data is copied twice when specifying both child and parent table in publication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Data is copied twice when specifying both child and parent table in publication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 7:37 AM Jacob Champion <jchampion@timescale.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 11:28 PM wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com
> <wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > Attach the new patch set.

Thanks for your comments and testing.

> For example, the corner case mentioned in 0003, with multiple
> publications having conflicting pubviaroot settings, isn't tested as far
> as I can see. (I checked manually, and it appears to work as intended.)
> And the related pub_lower_level test currently only covers the case
> where multiple publications have pubviaroot=true, so the following test
> comment is now misleading:
>
> > # for tab4, we publish changes through the "middle" partitioned table
> > $node_publisher->safe_psql('postgres',
> >     "CREATE PUBLICATION pub_lower_level FOR TABLE tab4_1 WITH
> (publish_via_partition_root = true)"
> > );
>
> ...since the changes are now in fact published via the tab4 root after
> this patchset is applied.

Make sense.
Tried to improve this comment like below:
```
If we subscribe only to pub_lower_level, changes for tab4 will be published
through the "middle" partition table. However, since we will be subscribing to
both pub_lower_level and pub_all (see subscription sub2 below), we will publish
changes via the root table (tab4).
```

Regards,
Wang Wei