RE: BUG #18055: logical decoding core on AllocateSnapshotBuilder() - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
Subject RE: BUG #18055: logical decoding core on AllocateSnapshotBuilder()
Date
Re: BUG #18055: logical decoding core on AllocateSnapshotBuilder()  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Thursday, August 17, 2023 10:04 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 9:10 PM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, August 17, 2023 6:07 PM Amit Kapila
> <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 3:33 PM Amit Kapila
> > > <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>

> core whose stack was like that:

> > > InitialRunningXacts.
> > > occur.

> > > cleanup(free) it.

> > > up.

> > > update it.

> > Thanks for pointing it out, I think we need to use volatile for it.
> >

> > > BTW, don't we need a similar change in
> pg_logical_replication_slot_advance()?
> >
> > You are right, I can reproduce the same following the steps in [1] and
> > replace the last two pg_logical_slot_get_changes function calls with
> > two "SELECT pg_replication_slot_advance('isolation_slot', (select
> > pg_current_wal_lsn()));"
>
> I've not tested but the same is true in a case where
> pg_create_logical_replication_slot() raises an error (e.g., cancelled while
> DecodingContextFindStartpoint()) after creating the decoding context?

Indeed, I can reproduce this case[1] as well, thanks!

Here is a new version patch which addressed this based on PG15.

Apart from this, I am thinking we’d better also apply the fix on HEAD even if
it doesn't have such flag and Assert. Because in error case(HEAD), we will skip
calling shutdown callbacks for output plugins, so it could cause other
problems. For example, in pgoutput we free and reset the hash table in shutdown
callbacks, if we skip this, and next time we consume changes from another slot,
we would use an expired hash table which can cause problems. I can provide
patches for all branches if the fix is OK.

[1]
~~ reproduction steps (Need to change LOG_SNAPSHOT_INTERVAL_MS to a bigger number)

session 1:
-----
SELECT 'init' FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('isolation_slot_1', 'test_decoding');
-----

session 2:
-----
- Start a transaction
BEGIN;
CREATE TABLE test(a int);
INSERT INTO test VALUES(1);
-----

session 3:
-----
- Note, to let the current slot restore another snapshot, we need to use gdb to block the current backend at
- SnapBuildFindSnapshot(), the backend should have logged the running_xacts WAL
- before reaching SnapBuildFindSnapshot.

SELECT 'init' FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('isolation_slot_2', 'test_decoding');
-----

session 1:
-----
- The current backend will serialize the snapshot when decoding the running_xacts WAL, and the snapshot
- can be used by other slots (e.g. isolation_slot_2)

SELECT data FROM pg_logical_slot_get_changes('isolation_slot_1', NULL, NULL, 'skip-empty-xacts', '1', 'include-xids',
'0');
-----

session 3:
-----
- Release the process and we can see if restore the snaphost and set NInitialRunningXacts to 1.
- Then let it report an ERROR and try to create the slot again after ERROR.
 SELECT 'init' FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('isolation_slot_2', 'test_decoding');
-----

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Attachment