RE: New standby_slot_names GUC in PG 17 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
Subject RE: New standby_slot_names GUC in PG 17
Date
Re: New standby_slot_names GUC in PG 17
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, June 26, 2024 12:49 PM Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 04:17:45AM +0000, Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 26, 2024 9:40 AM Masahiko Sawada
> <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 5:32 PM Amit Kapila
> > > <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>

> > > Agreed. So +1 for synchronized_stnadby_slots.
> >
> > +1.
> >
> > Since there is a consensus on this name, I am attaching the patch to
> > rename the GUC to synchronized_stnadby_slots. I have confirmed that
> > the regression tests and pgindent passed for the patch.
> A few comments:

Thanks for the comments!

> 1 ====
>
> In the commit message:
>
> "
> The standby_slot_names GUC is intended to allow specification of physical
>     standby slots that must be synchronized before they are visible to
>     subscribers
> "
>
> Not sure that wording is correct, if we feel the need to explain the GUC, maybe
> repeat some wording from bf279ddd1c?

I intentionally copied some words from release note of this GUC which was
also part of the content in the initial email of this thread. I think it
would be easy to understand than the original commit msg. But others may
have different opinion, so I would leave the decision to the committer. (I adjusted
a bit the word in this version).

> 2 ====
>
> Should we rename StandbySlotNamesConfigData too?
>
> 3 ====
>
> Should we rename SlotExistsInStandbySlotNames too?
>
> 4 ====
>
> Should we rename validate_standby_slots() too?

Renamed these to the names suggested by Amit.

Attach the v2 patch set which addressed above and removed
the changes in release-17.sgml according to the comment from Amit.

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Attachment