Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> wrote on 08/02/2006 02:04:35 PM:

> You'll need to specify the non-default port explicitly in your
> pg_dump command in order to back up the postmaster running on 55432.

> E.g., pg_dump -p 55432 -U postgres -C -D -f /tmp/$(date+%F)owl.sql owl

> By default, the postgres command-line utilities attempt to connect
> to 5432 (or $PGPORT or whatever is configured as the default port).

> In the meantime, you're still backing up the 7.3.4 postmaster with
> that script.

> --

> Thomas F. O'Connell
> Sitening, LLC

To confirm: what you're saying it that by specifying the port in my command the system knows which database to backup and which version of Postgresql to use.

Thank you for the assistance.

Margaret Gillon