Re: Changing ids conflicting with serial values? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From SCassidy@overlandstorage.com
Subject Re: Changing ids conflicting with serial values?
Date
List pgsql-general
Strange - I had never realized that PostgreSQL would allow you to UPDATE a
primary key value.  I thought that other db's I had used (e.g. Sybase,
Oracle, SQL Server, etc.) in the past would not allow that, and you had to
DELETE, then INSERT to modify a row that needed a different primary key.

Of course, that is only for tables whose primary key meant something - no
reason to change a serial-type primary key that does not really mean
anything.

Susan

                           Tom Lane

                      <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>            To:       Steven Brown <swbrown@ucsd.edu>

                           Sent by:                  cc:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org

                                                     Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] Changing ids conflicting with serial
values?

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos         |-------------------|

                      tgresql.org                     | [ ] Expand Groups |

                                                      |-------------------|

                           11/02/2005 06:38

                      PM

Steven Brown <swbrown@ucsd.edu> writes:
> When I change an id (primary key serial) in a table, the next value
> returned by the sequence for the id can conflict with that id (e.g.,
> change the id to be id + 1).  MySQL seems to handle this transparently
> by skipping conflicting values, but with PostgreSQL I get primary key
> conflicts.  It seems rather bad if a user can modify an id in a row and
> cause failures for all future inserts - it's just too fragile.  What's
> the proper way to handle this in PostgreSQL?

Plan A: don't do that.  Why in the world is it a good idea to modify an
artificial primary key?  It's not like there's some external meaning to
the values.

Plan B: after you do it, adjust the sequence generator with setval().
You can use max() to figure out where to set the generator.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Simply protected storage solutions ensure that your information is
automatically safe, readily available and always there, visit us at http://www.overlandstorage.com