Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-general

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/19/2005 12:35:25 AM:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > Strangely a pgsql to oracle exporter is a good thing.  It'd be a great
> > feature of PostgreSQL.  Imagine how many people would start on
> > PostgreSQL if they KNEW that one day they could easily move to Oracle
if
> > they needed to.  Risk management.
>
> Problem is: to offer such a thing with a straight face, we'd have to
> confine ourselves to an Oracle-subset version of SQL.  For instance,
> lose the ability to distinguish empty-string from NULL.

Yep.  It is not just limited to empty strings; An all blank string, no
matter the number of characters, is stored as NULL.  And a corollary to
that idiocy is that a string with two blank characters is not equal to a
string with a single blank character in Oracle.  'a  ' is not equal to 'a
'.  'a ' is not equal to 'a'.  Port that to another database.  Seen the
JOIN syntax? *sigh*

Rick