Re: Answering my own question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From gerry.smit@lombard.ca
Subject Re: Answering my own question
Date
List pgsql-novice
VACUUM FULL is NOT available in 7.1.3, so it must be later.

Gerry

                      "Adam Erickson"

                      <adamre@cox.net>               To:      pgsql-novice@postgresql.org

                      Sent by:                       cc:

                      pgsql-novice-owner@pos         Fax to:

                      tgresql.org                    Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Answering my own question

                      16/05/2002 11:56 AM

> As in another post, VACUUM ANALYZE has fixed my index, optimer, query
plan
> problem.
>
> A follow-up question I have is about VACUUM FULL.
>
> There's no mention of "FULL" as an arguement to VACUUM in the 7.1.3
> doc/html  on-line reference manual.  Was FULL added to a later release?

The changed vacuum in 7.[something].  Among other things, which I am
unaware
of, vacuum no longer frees physical disk space when cleaning up tables.
Instead, it frees space in the file for pg to reuse.  VACUUM FULL was then
added for those who wanted vacuum to behave as it did before.

One nice thing about the new behavior is that it no longer needs to lock
the
tables during vacuum.  Doing a vacuum full will lock the table though.

-Adam