Re: how to determine where a select statement fails - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Timothy_Maguire@hartehanks.com
Subject Re: how to determine where a select statement fails
Date
List pgsql-php
other than putting an if statement and doing 3 more queries, I can't think
of anything

something like:
if(pg_numrows == 0)
{
     select * from table where streetname = streetname
     if(pg_numrows == 0)
     {
          you found your error
     }
     else
     {
          do another query.........
     }
}

Tim.

Timothy P. Maguire
Web Developer II
Harte-Hanks
978 436 3325

                    "Heather Johnson"
                    <hjohnson@nypost.com       To:     <pgsql-php@postgresql.org>
                    >                          cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     how to determine where a select statement
                    pgsql-php-owner@post        fails
                    gresql.org

                    07/26/01 11:15 AM

I am using php to do a select query which returns rows on the condition
that
a conjunction is true in the WHERE clause. This is the SELECT statement:

SELECT low_range, high_range, st_name, city, zip FROM router
WHERE st_name = '$st_name' AND city = '$city' AND zip = '$zip';

In the event that the query fails to return any rows, I'd like to be able
determine which conjunct caused it to fail. So, for example, if the
user-entered $st_name isn't in the router table, I'd like to know that
st_name = '$st_name' is what made the conjunction false and caused the
query
to fail. $pg_errormsg isn't this specific about query failures though. Does
anyone know how I might be able to get this information?

Thanks!
Heather Johnson