Re: Function Hangs - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Patrick Hatcher
Subject Re: Function Hangs
Date
List pgsql-novice
Ah.  Thank you ALL!!!

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com
Legacy Integration Developer
415-932-0610 office

                    "Josh Berkus"
                    <josh@agliodbs       To:     ingram@samsix.com, "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com>
                    .com>                cc:     pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
                                         Subject:     Re: [NOVICE] Function Hangs
                    02/13/2002
                    01:17 PM

Patrick,

> > su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
>  /usr/bin/postmaster -o "
> > -i" start >/dev/null 2>&1"
> >
> > would the name of the log file go where the /dev/null is?

Nope.  Instead, right after the word "postmaster", insert:
 -l /var/log/postgresql
.. or wherever you want to store the log.  You should also make
 provisions in CRON to clear the log periodically, or it will continue
 to grow forever.

> Josh will answer anyway ( :) ), but this tripped me up too when I
>  started.

Postgres Novice Help Desk, at your service!  ;-)

> I know the idea is for it to be configured for ones own site,
> but it seems this is one of the first questions people who start
> with PG ask.

Yeah.  I don't know why most Postgres startup scripts ignore the log
 file.  Every time I do a Postgres install, I have to alter the startup
 script by hand.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com