Re: Are JOINs allowed with DELETE FROM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steven Rosenstein
Subject Re: Are JOINs allowed with DELETE FROM
Date
List pgsql-performance

Many thanks to Gaetano Mendola and Tom Lane for the hints about using
fields from other tables in a DELETE's WHERE clause.  That was the magic
bullet I needed, and my application is working as expected.

--- Steve

Steven Rosenstein
IT Architect/Developer | IBM Virtual Server Administration
Voice/FAX: 845-689-2064 | Cell: 646-345-6978 | Tieline: 930-6001
Text Messaging: 6463456978 @ mobile.mycingular.com
Email: srosenst @ us.ibm.com

"Learn from the mistakes of others because you can't live long enough to
make them all yourself." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

             Tom Lane
             <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.u
             s>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  Steven Rosenstein/New
             pgsql-performance         York/IBM@IBMUS
             -owner@postgresql                                          cc
             .org                      pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [PERFORM] Are JOINs allowed
             02/06/2005 02:49          with DELETE FROM
             PM

Steven Rosenstein <srosenst@us.ibm.com> writes:
> Thank you for the link to the documentation page.  I forgot to mention
that
> we're still using version 7.3.  When I checked the 7.3 documentation for
> DELETE, there was no mention of being able to use fields from different
> tables in a WHERE clause.  This feature must have been added in a
> subsequent release of PostgreSQL.

No, it's been there all along, if perhaps not well documented.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster