plperlu function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nicola.Scioscia@ascot.tn.it
Subject plperlu function
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello

I am an absolute beginner in postgres and apologize in advance for a possible silly question.
I am running postgreSQL 8.0 on a Suse Linux box

I need to write a function in a postgres database that performs an extraction on three archives and writes the extracted records in a text file.
I added the support for the "plperlu" language. I have defined the function in the following way:

CREATE FUNCTION sampleExtraction() RETURNS boolean AS $$

    // function implementation

$$ LANGUAGE plperlu IMMUTABLE STRICT;

I will launch this function manually when needed. My questions are:

-  is this feasible in this way ?
- how can I launch/execute the function? Do I need to write a suitable SELECT or is there an alternative way? Is "SELECT sampleExtraction();" correct?

Thanks in advance for your kind help

Best regards

Nicola Scioscia