Re: Limit for number of Joins in a View? Version 8.1.4 on Redhat 9 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject Re: Limit for number of Joins in a View? Version 8.1.4 on Redhat 9
Date
List pgsql-general

>Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> wrote on 02/08/2007 12:12:00 PM:
> Also, I suggest using "char" instead of just char. "char" is a
> special data type that's limited to storing a single character; the
> advantage is that it's much smaller and faster than a char.
>
> If you do end up back at using foreign keys, I suggest using either a
> smallint or "char"... the savings across the number of fields you're
> looking at would start to add up, especially if you start putting a
> decent number of rows in the table.
> --
> Jim Nasby                                            jim@nasby.net
> EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

Hi Jim,

I ended up using Varchar(1). According to the help there is no speed difference in the character types, on am I misunderstanding something?

Tip: There are no performance differences between these three types, apart from the increased storage size when using the blank-padded type. While character(n) has performance advantages in some other database systems, it has no such advantages in PostgreSQL. In most situations text or character varying should be used instead.
from: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-character.html

Margaret Gillon