Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Subject Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
The trick is making database administration invisible to the user.  Since
Firebird requires no administration, it's easy.  The single file database
architecture in Firebird is also easy since you generally have only one
drive.

The only administration item presented to the user should be a dialog that
displays available backup media, the databases (user named) on the media,
and an archive and restore button.  Supporting flash keys and CD burners as
archive devices is what Martha would definitely call a Good Thing.  They
usually have enough space for a compressed database used by a workstation
application without splitting, though you can support that too (e.g.
"Please insert disk two").

Rick

                      Christopher Browne
                      <cbbrowne@acm.org>             To:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      pgsql-general-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] EMBEDDED PostgreSQL
                      tgresql.org

                      01/25/2005 08:44 AM

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when topeakinniyi@yahoo.co.uk (Tope
Akinniyi) wrote:
> If I may ask, is there any plan for embedded PostgreSQL database as
> we have it in Firebird database?  In Firebird embedded a compact
> engine of the database that can only accept connections from
> localhost (127.0.0.1) and easily distributable with single user
> applications exists.

You can do that with PostgreSQL by configuring pg_hba.conf to only
accept connections from localhost.

And there is no problem with the notion of creating a database in a
local directory.

None of this requires any change.
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")