Re: Backend often crashing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guido Notari
Subject Re: Backend often crashing
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21/02/2003 09.11.14 pgsql-general-owner wrote:

>  > > I have one of those nasty problems, with Postgres backend often
crashing
>  > > with signal 11.
>  > >
>  > [snip]

>  > I think signal 11 is almost always bad ram.  If you do a Google
search,
>  > you'll see what I mean.
>  >
>  > If this is recent, maybe the ram just went bad.
>
>  My first thought until the statements about the second machine doing it
as
>  well.
>
>  Have you considered the possibility that you are running into some sort
of
>  resource limit? It could be your machines have a hard memory usage limit
(they
>  are production machines after all). I don't think PostgreSQL would just
die on
>  a Sig11 for that. It should log messages about memory allocation
>  failure. However, if your kernel is configured to do 'lazy' allocation
it could
>  be that it's only when the memory comes to be used that the fault
>  happens. (Should that be a bus fault not a segmentation one though?)

I don't believe at all about bad ram in two machines at the same time.

Resource limits? I don't think so, though we can't rule anything out...

The two machies have similar configuration, but different amounts of ram
(640MB vs 1GB).

And, I still have a strange feeling about machine A running the site
without any problem manifestating itself (AFAIK), then
switching site to machine B for one month, problem manifestated, then
moved back to machine A, problem manifestated on this machine

Memory limits, Postgres configuration etc never changed between switches.

Machine load wouldn't seem to be an issue, one crash occured today at 07:34
am, I don't thnk thew was any significant load at the time.

ciao
Guido