Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 20 Feb 2003 at 11:42, Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:

> Well, here is another case where partitioning would be usefull.

Not really. But point is well understood.

> Lets all agree the that vaccuming a small table should be better done by
> copying to a new one.
> Now, if a larger table would be partitioned, it would allow vacuuming
> one partition at a time.

postgresql splits data files at 1 GB. If DBA assures postgresql that there is
at least 1 gig of free space on data directory, vacuum full can use these data
files as partition and compact the space pretty quickly.

I think adding a flag to vacuum full to effect of use temporary table space for
compaction aggresively, I think it should be possible to implement this pretty
quickly.

On the other hand, I think partitioining table should be pretty easy since the
logic for splitting things across files is already there. Only if we add  logic
to splitting file location as well.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Air Force Inertia Axiom:    Consistency is always easier to defend than
correctness.