Re: VMWare and PostgreSQL: WAS :PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Subject Re: VMWare and PostgreSQL: WAS :PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Magnus,

Just the information I need.  Is this the case if Linux is the host (and
running PostgreSQL) and Windows is the guest running under VMWare?  I care
about the data in the Linux realm.  I could give a rip if a PowerPoint
presentation gets hosed.  On the other hand, if it lost one of my games
saves....

Thanks,

Rick

                      "Magnus Hagander"

                      <mha@sollentuna.net>           To:       <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com>, "Neil Dugan"

                      Sent by:                        <postgres@butterflystitches.com.au>

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos        cc:       <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>,
<pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org>
                      tgresql.org                    Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

                      03/11/2005 10:51 AM

> An idea I like, because I have entrenched windows clients
> also, is to run things that run best under Linux on VMWare
> (vmware.com) and to run good Windows things (like desktop
> apps) under Windows.  Linux can be either the host or guest
> OS under VMWare, so the options of which OS is truly in
> control are symmetrical.  I'm proposing this to my customer
> to solve a completely different set of problems (not
> PostgreSQL related) but the approach might have merit here as well.
>
> If anyone has tried this please respond.

Do *not* do this with a production database.

Vmware does *not* correctly handle fsync()s (or O_SYNC or any of those)
thruogh to disk. If your host PC crashes, your database will almost
certainly be corrupted. fsync() on the client just puts it in the RAM
cache on the host. Not even in the write cache on the disk/raid.

This is vmware workstation, of course. I'm sure their server line of
products act differently.

//Magnus

      joining column's datatypes do not match