Re: Limit for number of Joins in a View? Version 8.1.4 on Redhat 9 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject Re: Limit for number of Joins in a View? Version 8.1.4 on Redhat 9
Date
List pgsql-general

>Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote on 02/08/2007 01:58:20 PM:
> The "char" type (including quotes) is a very different animal from all
> those character types the manual you quote is talking about.  "char" is
> a single byte, while varchar(1) and all the rest are a single character,
> meaning there can be multiple bytes in presence of a multibyte encoding;
> so Postgres is forced to use a variable-length structure to store it.
> "char" has no such requirement.  It's used in the system catalogs as a
> "poor man's enum", for example in pg_class.relkind.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Using PGADMINIII I added a column of this type to my database but when I try to update it I get an error.

column:
ALTER TABLE datatype ADD COLUMN charflag "char"[];
ALTER TABLE datatype ALTER COLUMN charflag SET STORAGE EXTENDED;
COMMENT ON COLUMN datatype.charflag IS 'testing';

update:
update datatype set charflag = 'A';

results:
ERROR: array value must start with "{" or dimension information
SQL state: 22P02

Margaret Gillon