Re: Postgresql Text field / Visual FoxPro Memo and ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject Re: Postgresql Text field / Visual FoxPro Memo and ODBC
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote on 01/12/2005 01:06:30 PM:

> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:59, MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com wrote:
> > I am using ODBC to move Visual FoxPro7 tables (windows 2000 client)
into
> > Postgresql 7.x on a Redhat Linux server. All is working well except for
> > Memo fields, which are Text fields in PostgreSql. I query the
Postgresql
> > table and get a cursor, update the cursor with the data, and send it
back.
> > The contents of the memo field never make it back to the Postgresql
text
> > field. Other changes to the record's fields are saved with no problem.
> >
> > At this time all my UI's have to be written in VFP. Is there a work
around
> > for this or am I going to have to eliminate Text/Memo fields from my
> > tables?
>
> Postgresql doesn't support updatable cursors.

The updateable cursors are inside the FoxPro software. By using them I
always get the table's current structure to build a UI on. Foxpro has an
UpdateTable command that is used with the cursor. The command sends the
data back with updates and inserts via ODBC. I have been doing this for a
month now, and it's going fine, but today is the first time I tried to
include data in the TEXT field.

***
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297